Sunday, September 28, 2008

The Tale of Wilson's Tail


Facebook has an application called Flair that allows a user to give virtual buttons to other users. It’s one of the ways that a user can express their likes and dislikes. Recently my friend sent me flair that said, “Friends don’t let friends become crazy cat ladies.” You know crazy cat ladies, right!?! They’re old maids who acquire cat after cat until their whole life revolves around their cats. Since Meredith is a wonderful single friend who has a cat of her own I didn’t take offense at the flair.


Still my sister has suggested that since I brought my kitty home I may be on my way to becoming a crazy cat lady. I will admit to the crazy part; that has been established already. I maintain that it is better to be a little crazy and enjoy life than to stick to the norm and be bored.


As for being a cat lady I don’t think I could. See, the truth is I love my kitty and I don’t know that I could love two kitties the same. Is this the dilemma faced by parents when they decide to have a second child? I know that it is possible to love more than one (fur) child. I just don’t know if I want to.

I adopted Wilson in June of this year. I had always thought of myself as a dog person, but my lifestyle right now just wouldn’t work to have a dog. So I decided to adopt a cat. Wilson stole my heart right from the start. I can’t imagine life without him. As I type this he is at the foot of the bed grooming himself and looking at me like I am disturbing him when I shift position.
Wilson is a sweet heart and I admit that I spoil him. I also admit that I talk about him way too much and take tons of pictures of him. It became a joke while I was on vacation with my family recently that I had to make everyone look at my pictures of him. Just a few days ago I downloaded the vacation pictures from my camera and found I had taken 50 pictures of Wilson before leaving on vacation. In defense of myself, I did get a new camera and was getting the hang of it by using Wilson as my subject ;-)


It has been said that you can tell the mood of a dog by his tail. I think that is very true of Wilson also. He has a very long, graceful tail. When I returned from vacation he would not leave my side. As we lounged on the couch that evening his tail gently flicked at the very end. This is his way of saying, “I am content and all is right with my world.”


He also uses his tail to tell me when he is upset with something I have done. Often this happens when I have been gone for a few hours and he didn’t appreciate me leaving. He will get my attention, then walk a few feet away, sit with his back to me and flick his tail. Not the gentle flicking I described above. The tail waves back and forth and the tip snaps at the end of each arc. He continues to do this for about 15 minutes or until he is sure I have received the message.


In the mornings when it is time to get up (he determines this usually, not me) he will jump on the bed and lay right next to my face with his tail waving back and forth over my face. I eventually have to get up because the cat hair up my nose makes me sneeze.


Sometimes as I am at the desk working I will see his tail straight up in the air with just a little crink at the end. He hunches down on his front legs with his backside and tail up like a periscope. He stalks around pursuing some invisible trail of some evil that needs to be extinguished. I try not to think too much about what evil he may be following in my house…I just rest assured that Wilson is on the trail.


Yes, as you can see I do love my kitty and I love to talk about him. He has a spot in my heart that can never be replaced. I wrote a short story about him recently for the Faithwriter’s Writing Challenge. He was a good subject and the piece was well received. If you would like to indulge me in my kitty appreciation, you can read it at Finding My Place in Life

No comments:

Post a Comment