Friday, October 7, 2011

Will You Deny Me?

Jesus said to him, “Assuredly, I say to you that this night, before the rooster crows, you will deny Me three times.”


Peter said to Him, “Even if I have to die with You, I will not deny You!”

And so said all the disciples.

Matthew 26: 34 – 35



Peter was a good man. Jesus declared him the rock of the church. But like so many other great people of the Bible, Peter had his faults.

When confronted with the idea that he would ever deny Jesus he was vehement that it would never happen. Before the day was out Christ’s words had come true and Peter was forced to acknowledge he was not as strong as he believed.

Tonight I came face to face with my own weakness. I was driven to my knees by the desire for my life to be more than it is, for God to use me in whatever ways He chooses.

In the next moment when confronted with what I might have to sacrifice I dissolved in tears. I found I couldn’t say the words. I struggled with the knowledge that I hold tight to things more than I do to God.

They are worthy things, but when anything comes before God it becomes an idol. These worthy things become stumbling blocks in my path.

I wept bitterly at the knowledge of these idols. I imagine Peter did also when he realized what he had done by denying his Lord. He didn’t back off and give up. He kept going knowing that Christ loved him and would continue to do so. He was open to God’s plan and God was able to use him despite his failings.

No comments:

Post a Comment