Monday, October 29, 2012

NaNo What!?!

It's November which means it's time for NaNoWriMo.

What exactly is NaNoWriMo, you ask!?!

National Novel Writing Month, affectionately known as NaNoWriMo, happens every November. All over the world writers set an ambitious goal of writing 50,000 words on a novel from November 1 through November 30.

Last year NaNoWriMos wrote over 2 trillion words during the month of November! I managed to finish with just over 50,000.

The purpose of NaNoWriMo is to get people writing; to get those novels out of our heads and onto a computer or paper or whatever your medium of choice.

I'm participating once again in this year. I don't know if I'm crazy or what, but I'm going to do it. Last year I was a rebel. To be official you have to start a brand new novel, page 1, word 1. I had a novel in process that I wanted to finish a first draft so I rebelled.

This year I'm going to be official and play by the rules. I'm writing a historical fiction that has been in my heart and mind for many years, but I've put off writing it because it needs lots of details so that match actual fiction. I've done some preliminary research, enough to be able to write the story.

My main character has been wandering through my mind whispering to me this weekend. She has a story to tell. I know some of it, the rest I will discover throughout the month of November.

So, that's what I'll be doing this next month. What about you? If you're a writer with a novel banging around inside you, won't you join the craziness? You can find out more information at www.nanowrimo.org

1 comment:

  1. I like that you plan to discover where the story is taking you through the process of writing. I seem to have this idea in my head that I need to know what is going to happen from beginning to end before I even start the process. Best wishes for your endeavor.

    ReplyDelete