Saturday, December 12, 2009

Ransomed and Called

But now, O Israel, the LORD who created you says: "Do not be afraid, for I have ransomed you. I have called you by name; you are mine." ~Isaiah 43:1


This week has been one where a lot of things had to get done. It was a busy week and that was complicated by the cold temps and snow that hit our region. The sub zero temps did a number on my battery and at a time when I should have been focusing on work and getting things on my To Do List done I was trying the get the car jump started and get a new battery installed. At the end of the week I felt buried under everything. Honestly, I was feeling overwhelmed by life.

Then Thursday night I read this verse. It’s not new to me; I have heard it many times before. This time though the words resonated through my soul. They have been echoing through my life the last couple of days. Since they encouraged me I wanted to share them with you, my reader, in hopes that they encourage you also.

I have a friend who says that even in worship we Christians are self centered. Worship is about God, but we make it about us. Think of songs that say things like, “I could sing of your love forever.” I agree with her, but in this case I have to say that changing the verse to a me focus really made it personal. Try it.

“I am not afraid, for I am ransomed (some versions use the word redeemed). I am called by name, and I am His!”

In the grand scheme of things like dead batteries and contracts needing to be sent out the door at work this is what is most important. I have been redeemed and called by name. This wasn’t a mass operation. God called me by name and He redeemed me. And today I am resting in the fact that whatever happens in this world, I AM HIS!

No comments:

Post a Comment