Friday, March 11, 2011

Adam and Eve Made their Bed, Now We Have to Lay In It

Things have happened recently that seem incomprehensible. I'll be honest, as a person of faith, I don't have any answers to the question of why evil and death are part of our world.
The pat Christian answer is that way back in the day Adam and Eve were in the Garden of Eden and ruined it for us all. They made their bed and now we have to lay in it. If it hadn’t been for that first sin we would never have had to deal with death or evil. It is a fact of life in our fallen world. I have used this answer and I have to admit that it doesn’t really make it better and it certainly doesn’t make it easier to understand the incomprehensible.

On this side of heaven we won’t ever be able to explain why bad things happen to good people. I know that God is good. I have seen it for myself. Still, this world and the things that happen break my heart. Somehow we just have to keep trusting God and loving each other through the tough times.

As I was working on this, Katie over at The Journey posted this amazing post. Katie writes of a woman who has seen more years and more misery than I have. This woman has a deep faith and knows that whatever God allows has purpose and she continues to smile, love, and live. Katie openly admits she doesn’t understand this, not yet. And all I can say after the last few weeks is, “me neither, not yet.”

No comments:

Post a Comment