Today is Friday so I decided to share five fiction books/series I really enjoy:
1. The Stand by Stephen King – There is something about this story of the apocalypse and the resulting battle between good and evil that appeals to me. The book is over 1,000 pages and the uncut version is even longer. I have read both versions more than once. Some people think Stephen King is messed up and that may be true, but the man can weave a story like no other.
2. Hinds Feet on High Places by Hannah Hurnard – Hurnard has created an allegory of the Christian journey. When Much-Afraid starts out to meet the Shepherd in the high places she is joined by two traveling companions, Sorrow and Suffering. Their journey leads Much-Afraid through dangerous territory and scary situations, but Much-Afraid finds it was all worth it when she reaches her destination.
3. The King Raven Trilogy by Stephen Lawhead – This wonderfully written retelling of the Robin Hood legend drew me in just like that. I love the way Lawhead creates incredible scenes that come alive in my mind as I read.
4. In the Time of Butterflies by Julia Alvarez – A beautiful, sad book based on the true story of the Mirabel sisters during the time Rafael Leónidas TrujilloMolina was in power in the Dominican Republic. The sisters fight against the injustices created by the dictator. In the end they give their lives in an attempt to make a better life for the people of the Dominican Republic.
5. Frankenstein by Mary Shelley – A classic horror story that captivated me. Dr Frankenstein just wants to create a being. When the monster begins to feel human emotions he strikes out on his own but is soon overcome by loneliness. He attempts to assuage his loneliness by forcing Dr. Frankenstein to create another monster to be his companion.
What fiction books have you really enjoyed?