Wednesday, July 6, 2011

13,208

That's how many teams have been formed to help fight Alzheimer's in this year's annual Walk to Remember. Are you part of one of those teams? I am!

Here's the thing about Alzheimer's, Lewy Body Dementia, Vascular Dementia, and other forms of dementia - more and more people have loved ones, friends, or coworkers that currently deal with these conditions. If you don't now, chances are good that within the next year you will come in contact with someone that does.

I believe that as the baby boomers move into their golden years this country is going to see increased numbers of people with dementia simply because the sheer numbers of this generation. I believe that we will hear more about these conditions because their generation has been known for speaking out. And, I believe that those of us coming behind them will be faced with tough situations and decisions as parents and aunts and uncles find they need help.

Many of you know that my mother had Lewy Body Dementia for about 10 years before she died. My family has faced the questions and circumstances that go along with dementia. It's my goal to keep fighting so that the coming generations will have more answers and resources.

I walk because any advances made in the fight against Alzheimer's will ultimately help other forms also. I also walk because several of my mother's aunts and uncles have or had Alzheimer's.

Walking is an easy way to help. All it requires is signing up, joining a team or creating a team, and raising some money. There are no minimum fund raising levels or entry fees. Every little bit helps.  It takes a few hours on a weekend morning. The course is usually 5k or 3.1 miles. At our local walk there is even a portion that is fairly level and paved so that people in wheelchairs can participate.

To find a walk in your area and to sign up just visit the Alzheimer's Association web site.

No comments:

Post a Comment