Friday, November 6, 2009

Ft. Hood

I have been thrown off kilter. Yesterday was peppered with  minor annoyances and as I left work I was frustrated. Driving out of of the parking lot at work I heard the first talk of things happening at Ft. Hood. My afternoon had been so full I hadn't heard anything prior to that.

As I drove home I gathered bits and pieces and my heart became heavy with grief for the people who were involved in the shooting and their families. Suddenly the drama of my day was revealed for what it was...petty and not worth stewing over.

When something like this happens it is hard to understand and it devastates so many....the people involved, their loved ones, the emergency responders, and indirectly all of us. We grieve and we wonder if anywhere is safe. We try to make sense, but there is no sense in an act like this.

My heart and prayers go out to the injured and the loved ones of everyone involved. As I considered my quest to be more thankful this month I contemplated what I could say today in light of this. There is one thing that I know is true today. I am thankful for the men and women of the Armed Forces who put themselves in harms way every day even as I am saddened that harms way came to what is supposed to be a safe place and at the hands of a fellow soldier.

No comments:

Post a Comment