Wednesday, November 18, 2009

My Life Has Become a Comedy of Errors

There are many mornings when I wonder about the wisdom of getting up because I just don’t do mornings very well. Last week there was a day when I got up on the wrong side of the bed. I had a niggling feeling I should go back to bed, but honestly I have that feeling a lot and I just can’t give into it every time it happens…I would be unemployed and homeless. So that morning I went about my business, fed the cat, got dressed, and headed to work.


I was deep in thought and cruising along the highway. For once I was going to be early for work and was thinking, “Girl, you rock.” Then I saw them; the dreaded red and blue lights that signal impending doom. As the trooper passed me going the opposite direction I glanced over and saw him signaling me to pull over. So much for being early.

“Where you going in such a hurry?” He casually asked me after introducing himself.

“Um, work.” I said hoping he might be nice to me.

“Why you going so fast? Running late this morning?”

I had the presence of mind to not say, “Well, sheesh, I wasn’t until you decided you wanted to meet me.”

He then kindly explained that anything more than 10 miles over the limit and he HAD to give me a citation. Then he asked me to contribute a large sum of money to the state budget. As much as I was disinclined to give the government any more money than I already do he had a compelling argument that included the words court summons and arrest. I resigned myself to not buying a new Beijou purse at the party that weekend.

I arrived at work, still mostly on time and would have a few minutes before my first meeting. The elevator arrived at the floor, the door opened six inches and the alarm went off. I had to laugh. What else could I do?

With the help of the other person in the elevator we were able to push the doors open and get out. Woohoo! But I forgot that trouble comes in threes. During that meeting an itchy rash developed on my upper arm and itched like crazy. Hives caused by stress maybe?

I managed to make it through the day without any other tragedy. I laughed it off and went along my merry way. Yesterday life struck back at me again.

This time I was late for work when the cat urped his breakfast right in front of me as I walked out the door. I cleaned it up and dashed out the door. A stop at the gas station was in order since I was on E and wouldn’t make it all the way to work. The only problem with this scenario is that my gas door was frozen closed. Not a little, but a thick layer of ice sealed it shut on three sides.

It was then, on a freezing cold morning, jabbing the ice with my key trying to loosen the gas door that I realized that my life had become a comedy of errors. I had fleeting visions of a studio audience hee hawing over my foibles. Have you ever seen the movie “The Truman Show” with Jim Carrey? Truman was a man living in a TV show that was being broadcast around the world. He didn’t know he was living in a fake world or that people watched him as he went about his life. People laughed and cried with him and waited to see each day what would happen as he went unwittingly about his business.

I couldn’t help but think of that movie this week. I could imagine people watching and laughing as I poked at the ice while muttering under my breath.

Okay, so maybe my life isn’t interesting enough to keep people riveted to their TVs to watch the “The Tamara Show.” But, you gotta admit I do seem to have enough interesting things to keep my life exciting and keep me laughing. And when you’re stuck in an elevator or cleaning up cat puke laughing is better than the alternative :-)

Tune in next week to see what happens to Tamara next!

No comments:

Post a Comment