Friday, January 28, 2011

How to Greet the Day When You're a Night Owl

I’m nocturnal by nature. That second wind seems to come right as I’m climbing into bed and then the ideas ramble through my head as I drop into sleep. I love the quiet, dark and that’s when my creative mind begins to move into full gear. Yes, night time is definitely my time.


Over the years, though, I have often attempted to become a morning person. As much as I am comfortable in the night time hours, I envy morning people. On those mornings when I do get up before the sun I relish the peace. There’s something comforting about being awake while it is still dark outside. Maybe it’s a holdover from my night owl tendencies, but the solitude of the early morning hours are appealing – if it didn’t start so darn early!

So, here’s my little two cents about how a night dweller can enjoy mornings. First, head to bed a little early before attempting this. Second, arise before dawn and brew some coffee. When the coffee is done do your thing with it. For me that’s Splenda and some kind of cream, right now it’s hazelnut. Then curl up on the couch with your Bible and a warm blanket and meet God for a coffee date. Starting your day with Bible and prayer makes the rest of the day go smoother.

Now, make sure you don’t miss the sunrise. God will understand if you take some time for that. For me one of the best things about getting up early is the sunrises. Around here the sun makes a spectacular show in the morning. This is one thing that nights are missing. Sure there’s the sunset, but it’s just not the same as the sun bursting over the horizon to greet a new day. I often stop and gawk at the beauty that Ms. Sun spreads over the sky as she makes her entrance.

If you have the fortitude that I don’t, repeat on a regular basis!





The whole earth is filled with awe at your wonders; where morning dawns, where evening fades, you call forth songs of joy. Psalm 65:8

No comments:

Post a Comment