Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Blog, blog, blog

Have you noticed the preponderance of blogs on the internet these days? All it takes to get your thoughts out to the world is access to a computer and a connection to the world wide web. As I was reading a blog today I realized a couple of things. One is that I enjoy reading other people’s thoughts and their blogs. Two is that the world wide web is a really accurate description. With the advent of blogs the world is a little more connected.

Some people think blogs are a waste of time and are only for the narcissistic. I admit that I can get lost in time while perusing blogs, but I often come away changed by what I have read. Many bloggers have a list of their favorite blogs and with a click of the mouse you can jump off to read another blog. I haven’t made a blog list here yet, but I thought I would share some of my favorite blogs. So, here they are in no particular order.
Sunshine Days  is written by a young lady who goes to the same church as I do. We have never met, but I found her blog through a friend. What I love about this blog is that the writer shares her world in an unassuming way. Her Christian faith shines through, but also her humanness. She is what she is and is not afraid of that.

Scribble Chicks is a fairly new blog started by five Christian women authors. Their tag line is “A bunch of us pecking our way through the publishing world.” The women range from multi-published to a new author whose first book hits the shelves in January 2010. They have a theme each week and each one posts her thoughts on the theme. It has been great to read about their triumphs and challenges as they peck their way through.

Thoughts From Along the way  is written by a friend’s brother and his buddy. Jeff writes a little more often than Scott, but then again Scott is the father of a new baby and even I know that takes a lot of time. What I enjoy about this blog is the casual way faith is interwoven into the conversation. Jeff writes with a transparency that often hits me right in the heart. His faith is a down to earth kind of faith. He doesn’t get caught up in the trappings of religiosity but lives out his belief day to day.

Michael Hyatt is the CEO of Thomas Nelson Books. His blog is full of helps for writers. I like his no nonsense, pull no punches kind of style. He says it like he sees it.

Wanna Be Published, written by Mary E. Demuth is another help for writers. She provides great insight into the struggles would be writers face.

Terrible and Beautiful is another blog of a friend of a friend. Lorri is a young mom fighting a courageous battle with cancer. Hers is “a daily weblog of cancer, God, and life.” Despite having never met Lorri I have a great deal of respect for her. She has taken a horrible situation and sought the beauty that exists in life. She is determined to rise above the cancer and has chosen to keep living each day to the fullest.

And no blog list would be complete without a shout out to my new favorite author, Jennifer Valent.  Jennifer is the author of Fireflies in December and Cottonwood Whispers. In her blog she parlays her thoughts on the writing process. Her easy to read style shines through on her blog. By the way, if you haven’t read her books, I highly recommend them!

So, that’s a little taste of the blogs I follow. When you get a chance, feel free to cruise on over to visit with my web of "friends” and see what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment