Wednesday, October 28, 2009

How Many Pairs of Shoes Does a Girl Need?

How many pairs of shoes does a girl need? I don’t know the answer to that. What I do know is I like shoes; I have a lot of them. People who know me might be surprised by this statement since I tend to wear the same shoes over and over. But, I have had an obsession with shoes since about the 10th grade. Way back then I bought a really cute pair of blue corduroy flats for $7. Then I gave them to my sister and had her give them to me for Christmas! Since then I have accumulated more shoes than one girl can ever wear and periodically give them away to Goodwill.

Today I was watching the news and there was a story about Blake Mycoskie and Tom's Shoes. According to the web site Blake is the Chief Shoe Giver for Tom’s Shoes. The news cast said Blake describes himself as a Social Entrepreneur. He’s using his business skills to do something for the less fortunate. He traveled to Argentina in 2007 and came back with a desire to help the children he met. Tom’s Shoes, which stands for Tomorrow’s Shoes, grew out of that. The goal is to give one pair of shoes to a child in need with every pair of shoes purchased. “One for One. Using the purchasing power of individuals to benefit the greater good is what we're all about.”

Shoes for a good cause, a girl can’t beat that! I don’t own a pair of Tom’s Shoes yet, but Christmas is a coming. Maybe I will buy a pair and tell the family member who has my name for the gift exchange to consider my gift done :-)


1 comment:

  1. Hello Tammara! Go to www.tradeasone.com and learn about a company in my area that is helping alleviate poverty through fair trade. It's one way to answer God's call to justice for the poor and oppressed. Oh, and thanks for your comment today on my blog.

    ReplyDelete