Saturday, October 31, 2009

Remembering Mom

Two years ago today my mom passed from this life on to the next. The last years of her life were punctuated by the horrors that Lewy* brought. Today, however, I choose to not dwell on those times and instead dwell on the amazing woman that was my mother.

I have so many good memories of Mom that it would take many, many blog posts to cover them all. Here are some that come to me today….

*Putting together my “grown up lady” Halloween costume one year.

*Sitting in the Granada on her birthday waiting into the wee hours of the morning for the tow truck to come and tow my brother’s Mustang. Someone had cut the battery cables while I was at work and we were concerned that the person may have been planning to come back and steal the car if we left it sitting in the parking lot over night. (Have you thanked me for saving your baby, big brother!?!)

*Mom being so excited about being a Grammy, but being “too young” to be a grandma. Thus she became GrammyMommy to six grandchildren.

*Her laughing at me and teasing me for years because I tried to outdo her by making a perfect angel food cake from scratch….still haven’t managed to accomplish that one!

*Late nights in the trailer park in Altus when she let me get up after the girls were asleep. That was when she taught Thomas and me to play Canasta, when we tried silly experiments like what Dr. Pepper tasted like warm, and when we had our first talk about the birds and the bees.

*Coming into the living room the summer I lived with her and Dad to see them sitting on the couch holding hands, still so much in love after all these years.

*Her telling Dad, “You’re a good man, Charlie Brown.”

*The laughter she shared with her five crazy sisters.

*The long walks we took in the evenings after dinner the summer I lived with her and Dad before moving to Oregon.

*Her beautiful smile and indomitable spirit.

Mom was loved by many and I think I speak for my siblings when I say that we were incredibly blessed to have her as a mom.

I love you and miss you Mom, but you live forever in my heart.

*Lewy Body Dementia – for more information visit the Lewy Body Dementia Association

No comments:

Post a Comment