Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Waiting and Still Holding Out Hope

A week ago today a 7.0 magnitude earthquake struck Haiti. The city of Port-au-Prince and surrounding areas have been devasted by the damage. People are homeless, food and water are scarce, tens of thousands are dead, and people are still missing.

Over the course of the last week I have come to "know" two men that were in the Hotel Montana at the time of the quake. I have never met Dan Woolley or David Hames, but I have friends who are their friends. Both men were buried in the rubble. Dan was rescued last Thursday after 65 hours. We all praised God when he was found. We are all rejoicing with his family!

Today, though, David is still missing. It has been seven days. His family is desperate for word of him. He was with Dan at the time of the quake and Dan has helped rescuers to try to pinpoint where he might be. He was carrying a backpack with water and granola bars so he has sustenance to have held him through the last week. And, from what I have heard, he has a faith that sustains him.

There is still hope. Reports have come across today of people still being found alive. As of yesterday rescuers were still hearing signs of life in the rubble of the hotel. God is bigger than this situation and He can still bring life out of this situation.

I have been awed by the depth of emotion I feel at this situation. I am always moved when disaster strikes and people are hurting, but this feels personal. I don't totally understand it. All I know is that I must pray for David and his family.

The people waiting for word of David have not given up hope. Today at 10:53am MST people around the world who have been touched by the story joined their prayers and lifted their voices to the Lord. We are still praising God and still asking for David to come home. We won't give up hope.

Photo of David from Friends of David Facebook site.

No comments:

Post a Comment