Monday, April 19, 2010

Song in my Heart

Way back in the dark ages, also known as seventh grade, I joined the choir at my little Catholic school. I do like music, but to be totally honest I was there because of the end of year trip to Elitch Gardens Amusement Park. By that age I had already realized that I couldn’t really carry a tune.


But it was okay, because I had mastered lip syncing really well. This was before Milli Vanilli so there really weren’t any good role models….I learned on my own. I know, you’re impressed, aren’t you!?! Well, Sister wasn’t so much impressed.

There I was in the middle of the Beatles song “Strawberry Fields Forever” when the inevitable happened. Sister became wise to my noiseless mouth movements and promptly kicked me out of the choir. No Elitch trip for me.

Despite my lack of being able to carry a tune and true musical knowledge I love to sing in church. I don’t sing very loud since I realize that though the Father loves to hear my voice raised in song, those around me may not appreciate my praise. It makes me sad that many people in church don’t sing along. They don’t actively participate in this wonderful act of worship and instead treat it like something to be witnessed.

As a child I often thought the music was just there to fill the quiet, boring spots in the service. I have since learned that the music is a vital part of our worship. The Bible encourages us in many places to sing praises to God. 1 Chronicles 16:23 says “Let the whole earth sing to the LORD! Each day proclaim the good news that He saves.” Psalm 9:11 has us sing of His unforgettable deeds. Because He has been good to us Psalm 13:6 commands us to sing.

In fact, a quick search of an online Bible source resulted in 133 instances of the word sing. The Psalms themselves often were songs written by David and others of that time. Music has long been part of our Christian heritage. One thing I have never seen is the exhortation to only raise your voice in song if you can carry a tune. God doesn’t care about the way our voices sound; He cares about the way our heart is tuned as we praise Him.

So, today, won’t you join me in allowing God to fill our hearts with song and allowing that song to take root and season our worship? We don’t have to wait until the next church service. We can sing His praises right now, right here!

No comments:

Post a Comment