Wednesday, June 9, 2010

A Little Night Music

The heat of the day cooled to a nice comfortable temperature. Slowly the lullaby of the night began.

Crickets chirped out their messages in a sweet melody.

Every so often a lonely, deep throated frog sang out his baritone ribbit in contribution to the symphony.

A slight breeze rustled through the grasses and trees, adding a light undertone.

Surrounded by the darkness and the night music it was easy to slip away and remember what is really important.

Have you noticed how fast life seems to happen these days? It seems there are never enough hours in the day or days in the week to accomplish everything. Recently I have had the opportunity to slow my life down and take a new view of things. I am always surprised about how much I enjoy the time to breathe and contemplate life. I shouldn’t be, but I am.

Last weekend I took some time out and house sat for a friend while she and her family were on vacation. They live far enough away that it was like a mini vacation for me. Their house is in a small subdivision on good size lots and away from the hustle and bustle of city life.

One night I sat on the patio late in the evening. After a very warm day the temperature had cooled. As I sat there in the silence I realized it wasn’t silent; it was just missing the sounds of the city. I was surrounded by the sounds of nature and it lulled me into a peaceful, quiet state.

I am a city girl and though I live on the far edge of town I am still surrounded by city. Because of this I often forget what the night is like when you remove the lights and sounds of the civilization. So I sat there entranced by the music and the peacefulness. I felt my muscles relaxing and any tension draining away. All other thoughts seeped from my brain as I just listened and enjoyed.

As I drifted in this lush night life, I realized that regardless of where I am I need to find time in my life to just stop and appreciate. I need to let go and recharge. I need to remember what life is really all about.

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment