Sunday, November 7, 2010

Daylight Savings Time

Daylight savings time ends today. Did you remember to turn your clock back? I usually turn all mine back early in the evening on Saturday so I don’t forget. There’s lots of talk this time of year about how we gain an hour and vice versa in the spring. But, that’s not really true. The hours just get rearranged so we don’t really gain anything. Sorry, if that burst your bubble, but reality is what reality is.


Honestly, reality is that we can’t gain or lose hours in our life. We are born with a certain number of hours to live out our lives. The Bible tells us that our days on this earth are determined before we are born. Psalm 139:16 reads, “Your eyes saw my substance, being yet unformed. And in Your book they all were written, The days fashioned for me, When as yet there were none of them.” Only God knows how many hours we have to live on this earth.

Our job is not to worry about how many hours we have or whether we can gain or lose them. Our job is to live out those hours and days that have been given to us. I believe we each have a purpose on earth. I have written before about my purpose until my 42nd year was to be there when my parents needed me during my mom’s illness. Now I know that God has another purpose for my life; I am just not able to verbalize it as I could before. I think that God has some use for me and my writing and I don’t necessarily need to know the details in order to fulfill my tasks. I just know that every choice I make can either move me in the right direction to fulfilling my days here or it can squander the time I have on foolish things. Life doesn’t always make sense to me, but it does to God. As long as I turn my heart to Him and lean on Him my hours will be well spent.

“So teach us to number our days that we may gain a heart of wisdom.” ~Psalm 90:12

Today I am thankful for the time I have been given.

No comments:

Post a Comment