Friday, November 5, 2010

Here and Now

These days I have been working in a small office without windows and I find myself looking forward to getting out and walking in the park. When I am walking I make great plans for my stories and the things I am going to write when I get back to my home office. Then, when I am home in front of my computer I find myself thinking about tomorrow and the next day. I find myself always thinking about what is up and coming. I realized as I walked recently that I seem to never be just focusing on right now. There is always something ahead to consider and I seem to be perpetually living in the future. Do you ever do that?


The Bible tells us to not worry about tomorrow and to not make plans since we don’t know from one day to the next if we will still be here. I don’t think the Bible is telling us to not do any planning for the future. I think the import of those verses is that we need to remember to live in the here and now. I know I look back and realize how much I missed out on because I was not fully living in the present.

Today I am thankful for this day – all 24 hours that comprise it. I will make an effort to be mindful of what is happening right now in front of me, this minute.

2 comments:

  1. Great words to live by, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome, Karina. These are words I have to remind myself of from time to time.

    ReplyDelete