Friday, October 8, 2010

No Longer Working for the Man

Several months ago I quit my full-time job. There were a lot of reasons, not the least of which was that I was driving 65 miles one way to work, five days a week. That’s 650 miles and 15 hours of drive time each week. After I quit I spent a while just catching up on life again and trying to focus on my writing.


Then, about a month ago I took on a temporary position working for a local medical group. The work is something I have done in the past. I don’t manage people and I don’t have some fancy title. I simply have a job that I can do “with my eyes closed.” I show up at work each day and give my best for all the hours that I am there. At the end of the day I am responsible for what I have done and I am proud of what I have done. And, despite sitting at a desk for 9 hours each day I find myself exhausted (in a good way) at the end of the day.

Some people look at my situation as a step down. To the world it would appear that I have fallen from grace in my current position because it lacks permanence, clout, perks. But, as I go through my days I find that I have pride in my work. I look forward to going in each day and contributing something of value to this company. As I have been pondering this place I am in my life, I realize that God is teaching me to be content in all things. He is reminding me of the value of putting my heart into my work. He is giving me time and energy for truly living and not just trudging through the days.

Colossians 3:23 says, “Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men…” That’s exactly what I feel while I am in this temporary place. I am working for the Lord; not for men, prestige, power, or money. It’s a good feeling. Honestly, in the last few years I lost sight of what’s important in life. I was working for the man and it showed. I lacked the satisfaction of doing a good job for the Lord and not for anyone else. I was trying to build up treasures on earth that moth and dust destroy (Matt 6:19) and there was no satisfaction in that. That lifestyle drug the life out of me.

Now, my circumstances are infusing my life with new vigor. I am happy to put my heart into my work and to work for the Lord. It is good to have left the man behind!

No comments:

Post a Comment