Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Sometimes This World Confounds Me

Sometimes this world just gets the best of me. There are days when I want to throw up my hands and whisper, “I’m done.”


Other days I stand in awe of a beautiful sunset or the smiles of an elderly couple as they hold hands while strolling in the park.

There’s just a lot about this world that is unknowable and that confounds me sometimes. Take, for instance, the sudden death of a young woman’s father who was in his mid-60s and the friend’s niece who is fighting for her life just hours after being born with a serious heart defect. These things pierce my soul.

Then I walk outside and I see the snow on the summit of Pikes Peak and the fabulous colors of the autumn leaves. I see the friends come around the hurting families and support them through their trials. These things are salve on my pierced soul.

We Christians like to say bad stuff happens because we live in a fallen world. Ever since Adam and Eve allowed evil into this world we have had to deal with the consequences. It’s true, but it doesn’t make it any easier.

I still don’t understand it, really. It just makes me sad, but also thankful that there is still good in this world to counterbalance the bad.

2 comments:

  1. Trials make us stronger. They help to prove who we are and what we are worth. It's sad bad things happens, but God has his reasons. There is always something to learn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He does have His reasons and trials do make us stronger. I just get sad for the people who don't know God who have to suffer through them without Him. I especially hate to see wee babies suffer so early in life.

    ReplyDelete